Agent 74 sells binoculars in their online shop. They also sell Spotting Scopes, Rifle Sights, Shooting Glasses, Compasses and more besides all that. Webshed has just built the ecommerce website and new products are being added all the time.
Building an E-commerce site.
Agent 74 required a fully functional E-commerce solution. Trust is a big issue for online shops, so we had to take this into consideration right from the start when building the Agent 74 website. Webshed researched competitors for their strengths and weaknesses before even starting the design process. We did not just analyse from a technical perspective, but also from a user experience point of view. We asked simple questions of ourselves like “would I happily buy here?” and if the answer was no we asked “why?”
A lot of the user experience when shopping online is psychological. Anything that seems a little rough around the edges makes us lose confidence.
We used a mix of experience and research to come up with the web design and layout concept for Agent 74.
What makes Agent 74 great as an E-Commerce site?
- We did something unusual. We put all the small print in the main menu so that it is hard to miss. This contrasts with just about every other E-commerce site in the world. Why did we do it? Because if there is nothing to hide about terms and conditions, then why would you make them hard to find? If I want to buy a pair of binoculars from Agent 74 I’m going to trust the site a lot more if it is transparent.
- Proper payment integration. It takes a bit more effort to set up a merchant account to provide a solid payment gateway than setting up Paypal payments, but we think it’s worth it. When you set up a merchant account for online payments you have to comply with a much stricter set of conditions than with Paypal. There is nothing wrong with paypal, but I like shopping where the payment gateway clearly shows that the site is not run by Betty from her bedroom but a proper accountable company. We used Realex as our payment gateway and that allowed us to set up 3D secure credit card payments and to accept laser cards on a very secure server.
- Easy Navigation. It is hard to get lost on Agent 74. In fact we think it’s impossible. We created categories for our products that make finding what you want easy. We are not finished yet either. There will also be an information section to advise on choosing products.
- Low shipping costs. I have on one occasion paid as much for shipping as I did for a product. Keeping shipping costs low has been a priority. Webshed can’t take credit for that, but it should be pointed out anyway.
- Clear web design. The site is based on WordPress because it is fast, reliable and solid. The design is a custom design with clarity as its central conceptual theme. We wanted people to see the binoculars or spotting scopes rather than confusing clutter. We believe we have achieved that.
- A great shopping cart. At webshed we have used a few different shopping carts for our E-Commerce solutions. So far the one we used for Agent 74 is our favourite. It has nearly all the features we could want a shopping cart to have, and most importantly makes the user experience straight forward. As a bonus it is designed specifically to integrate with WordPress, so it utilises some of the great features of WordPress. Like all off the shelf shopping carts it needed some tweaking, but nothing too drastic. I feel a review of the cart coming on over at SEO training, our site about, well, SEO training as it happens.
Why we think Agent 74 is going to be the top website for binoculars in Ireland
If you have a physical shop, then you can fit it out like Lidl or like Brown Thomas’s. With an online shop it is possible to fit it out like Brown Thomas’s, and stock really high quality merchandise, but you can price your merchandise like Lidl because you don’t have the same overheads as a physical shop.
Agent 74 sells a large range of Binoculars, Spotting Scopes and other optical goods that are really good value. They also sell from an online shop that not only looks better than their competitors, it performs better and offers more transparency and ease of use.
We are in a recession and VALUE deserves capital letters! Agent 74 offers value that is good enough for it to make sense for shoppers in the UK to buy their binoculars from Ireland. For Irish buyers you save on the price buying rifle sights, binoculars or other products from the UK too.
Search Engine Optimisation
Of course every good shop needs to be found online. That is where Search Engine Optimisation comes in. We will be working hard on that from here on in. And at Webshed SEO is our thing! It is an essential part of the Online Marketing mix.
Previously to working with Agent 74 there wasn’t a whole lot of knowledge about binoculars at Webshed. When working on the Marine Binoculars we noticed one pair in particular though…. Waterproof, floating, with and internal illuminated compass and rangefinder. You can look at them here. They nearly make your cup of tea for you! There are lots of other neat products too… go and have a look!